Australian Unity, one of Australia’s largest Health Funds, has implemented R.Review to manage their annual salary and incentive review process.
Time to Update the Existing Review Process
Australian Unity employs over 1500 staff nation-wide across its Health Care, Retirement Living, Investments and Personal Financial Services divisions. Australian Unity provides personal and corporate health care for more than half a million Australians. Its Retirement Living facilities include more than 1800 home units, 450 aged care beds and 180 ambulatory and care packages. Investments and Personal Financial Services offer financial planning advice and a range of investment and equity products to investors.
The diversity of the business is reflected in their review process which requires complex market-data matching, several unique incentive programs and a variety of letter templates. In 2010 Australian Unity decided that their existing spread sheet-based system could no longer support the needs of the business. “Data integrity and security were our main issues. The original creators of the spread sheet had left the organisation and with them went the logic of the calculations. Splitting the spread sheets opened them up to errors when collating them at the end of the process along with people saving them on non-secure drives. We have numerous incentive plans covering both Award and Non Award staff and the existing process couldn’t give us a whole organisation view of our incentive payments.” Stephen Blatherwick, HR Business Solutions Manager.
Choosing the right solution
Having identified a need to replace their existing approach, Australian Unity undertook an extensive evaluation process to try and find a salary and incentive review system sophisticated enough to deal with thousands of employees, multiple incentive programs, complex organisational structures and personalised letter content incorporating division and departmental letterhead. At the same time the solution needed to be simple and intuitive to use in order to minimise the requirement for training and change-management. “We selected a number of vendors to present their offerings then we assessed them on functionality, ability to configure, responsiveness and customer service. R.Review was chosen due to the ability to manage our unique plans and Remesys’ ability to come up with quick solutions.”
From the outset, Remesys worked closely with Australian Unity’s HR Team to implement a solution that delivered all requirements, on time and within budget. R.Review was configured so that all fields, calculations and screens used Australian Unity’s terminology, making the transition to the new system very easy for managers and administrators. It was even branded with Australian Unity’s corporate colours and presented to staff using the old system’s name so that internally it appeared as an upgrade or improvement to an existing system, largely avoiding the usual resistance to acceptance of a new system. According to Stephen Blatherwick, “R.Review not only met our expectations from the HR end, but from our managers perspective it was a seamless transition.”
After the review, Australian Unity asked managers and administrators to complete a short survey outlining their impressions of the system.
Feedback from managers included:
- “Visually and functionally easy to navigate around the system - did not take long to work it out; final rem letters produced were very professional looking and this made them more personable than in prior years.”
- “Love this new system. It saved me so much time and printing. The fact that it is now electronic and we don't have to save spread sheets is also very reassuring from a security point of view.”
- “The notification email when management changed recommendations was great. Previously we weren't always aware when changes were made.”
Feedback from HR administrators included:
- “No more cutting spread sheets; freed me up to spend time coaching managers on rem decisions.”
- “Could easily see the bottlenecks in the process.”
- “Loved the ‘shadow’ access so I could help my managers remotely.”
- Q. “How many HR people does it take to produce a bonus letter?”
A. “Not as many as last year.”
The Level of Service
Remesys clients have at least one dedicated consultant throughout the review processes. This ensures that clients have direct access to expert advice and support whenever required. According to Stephen Blatherwick, “The Remesys Consultants were always there to help us through the whole process, including a number of ‘we need to change this now’ calls that they responded to and resolved quickly without disruption to our managers.”
R.Review delivered several key benefits for Australian Unity including:
- One tool covering multiple incentive plan types
- The ability to follow where the process was up to without numerous emails
- Live data allowing Executives to see how budgets were tracking at any given time.
- Easy navigation with minimal training required.
- Localised letter production.
“Love this new system. It saved me so much time and printing. The fact that it is now electronic and we don't have to save spread sheets is also very reassuring from a security point of view.”
R.Review case study
“Q. “How many HR people does it take to produce a bonus letter?”
A. “Not as many as last year.”
Australian Unity employs more than 1500 staff nation-wide across its Health Care, Retirement Living, Investments and Personal Financial Services divisions. Australian Unity provides healthcare, retirement and financial services for more than half a million Australians.
EMPLOYEES:R.Review is used for around 1500 employees.
SOLUTION:R.Review is a wholly Australian owned and developed remuneration review software solution that met all of Australian Unity’s requirements on time and within budget.
- Process transparency
- Enhanced reporting
- Streamlined, transparent process
- Real-time reporting and tracking of budget versus spend
- Live updates to data with all budgets, guidelines and calculations updated
- Automated letter generation
- Virtually no-training required making roll-out and user acceptance easy.