GrainCorp and R.Review successfully deliver an effective and more streamlined global remuneration review process.
GrainCorp Limited is an international leader in food ingredients and agribusiness, creating value by connecting consumers and producers. Publicly listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX), GrainCorp is Australia’s leading grain handler, with operations spanning Australia, North America and Europe. Remesys is proud to have been selected as a technology partner for an organisation that embraces excellence, sustainability and integrity as organisational values.
The Case for Change
Before implementing R.Review, GrainCorp used extremely complex spreadsheets to manage both their remuneration and incentive review processes for the whole organisation. Each year the remuneration team would spend a significant amount of time creating spreadsheets using data extracted from multiple payrolls and related systems. The spreadsheet required the inclusion of multiple formulae and data had to be checked and re-checked for accuracy. These spreadsheets were then manually ‘sliced and diced’ and emailed to the business for review. Any analysis and reporting could only be conducted at the end of the process after consolidation of all information had been completed.
The remuneration review process is a critical time for organisations and with such a manual process the human resources team were unable to adequately support their business – instead spending their time double-handling complicated spreadsheets and manually updating information. With no visibility of manager recommendations until right at the end of the process, there was limited time to discuss exceptions and no clear audit trail for decisions made or changed. In addition to the substantial time and resources required to successfully deliver the remuneration review process, there were significant risks inherent in such a manual process including data integrity and the safekeeping of confidential information. The task of producing letters for all staff via mail-merge at the end of the review was another time-consuming burden upon the HR team.
GrainCorp considered three vendors to assist them in streamlining and automating their remuneration review process. All three vendors were assessed upon system features, ease of use, cost, vendor expertise and client references.Remesys was chosen to be GrainCorp’s technology partner for a number of reasons:
- R.Review could be configured using GrainCorp terminology, methodology, rules, processes and guidelines – making the change process much smoother for the business;
- Remesys consultants are reward experts – they really understood GrainCorp’s requirements;
- The potential benefits to the business far outweighed the implementation and licensing costs;
- Multiple spreadsheets would be replaced with a single source of truth;
- The security and auditability of GrainCorp’s data and process would be ensured; and
- Letters could be automatically generated by the system for Graincorp divisions globally.
Implementing the Solution
From the start our Remesys consultants worked closely with GrainCorp’s remuneration team to implement a remuneration review system that would deliver the required outcomes for the business on time and within budget.
R.Review was configured so that all fields, calculations and screens used GrainCorp’s previous terminology which meant the new system felt familiar for managers and HR. This ability to configure the system combined with the intuitiveness of R.Review made the overall transition seamless for all involved.
"Some users had expected the system to generate work but loved that it provided a single source of truth in real-time and supported a quick turnaround to make changes and extract outcomes.”
GrainCorp's remuneration team
The generation of final remuneration letters was an R.Review feature which delivered significant benefit to GrainCorp. Previously letters were created from multiple spreadsheets and mail merge files. Generated in batches by the HR team, every letter needed to be double-checked for errors and/or irrelevant information.
R.Review automatically generated letters for all GrainCorp employees based upon multiple scenarios including different letters by country, for full and part-time employees, salaried or hourly employees and with or without increases. Electronic signatures and corporate branding could also be applied to each letter.
Feedback from Managers and HRFeedback gathered from both the management and HR community shared similar themes: a user-friendly system, significant time savings and improved control and auditability of the process. Comments included:
- Excellent system, fantastic shift from prior year, very easy, straight forward, split tasks/ responsibilities, great reporting.
- Auditable, minimal time spent on administering the process, 25% reduction in administration. Letters took no time.
- Process was contained within the work day for BU HR rather than requiring out of hours effort.
- 30-40% time reduction. Spent hours as compared to days administering - good flow of information and auditability - reduced risk of over-riding data and version control.
- Simple and user friendly.
- Letters were amazing! Excellent and easy to use.
Ultimately GrainCorp was able to deliver a solution to their users that not only met, but also exceeded expectations.
Remesys clients have at least one dedicated consultant throughout the review process. This ensures that clients have direct access to expert advice and support whenever required. Remesys provided all training and support required to ensure that all benefits of an automated remuneration review system were realised in the first review cycle.
The Performance and Reward Consultant at GrainCorp commented that Remesys consultants were “extremely knowledgeable and responsive.”
R.Review case study
"Easy to learn and use. Loved being able to see all the information in one place and in an easy to use format."
COMPANY:GrainCorp is an international leader in food ingredients and agribusiness, with operations across Australia, North America and Europe.
SOLUTION:R.Review is used to manage the remuneration review process for around 1,400 employees across all of GrainCorp’s operations.
- 25%- 40% reduction in time spent by HR administering the process
- Multiple complex spreadsheets replaced with a single source of truth
- All relevant remuneration and incentive information stored and viewed in one system
- Employee letters at the push of a button
- Automated reporting available in real time for managers and HR
- Visibility throughout the process for managers and HR partners
- The ability to track spend throughout the process rather than only at the end
- Increased security of confidential information
- Delivery of a transparent, auditable process